Friday, July 26, 2013

Surgery 1/3: Norwood

Of course I'm up. Who sleeps in on the morning of their sons surgery. Besides Danny :) which is ok with me because I've turned info a real cry baby since 5:45am. It was like 5 months of emotion all at once hit me when I woke up to pump. I didn't even get a chance to wipe the crap from my eyes. The tears did that for me. Probably the most emotional I have gotten since we found out about baby Eli and his hypoplastic diagnosis. 

They are prepping him now. One last bath was given late last night which I stayed up for then slowly passed out once his whimpers faded out. I just couldn't get myself to let them disappear from my ears. So here we are. The day of Eli's first of 3 surgeries. A day we have been praying about, blogging about, fundraising for, and as parents, dreading. We know he needs this but deep down, secretly hoping it was all still a dream. That our little boy was ok. Someone made a mistake and will at any moment pop out and say he's OK! Right? Anyone, at anytime...no? Ok fine. I tried. 

I will update at the bottom of this page as the day goes along. So here we go...

6:25. Last minute assessments from the RN's 
7:30 Wheeled him into OR. We are in a private waiting room. 
9:25 Incision made. All lines in and good. 
10:10 sewing on shunt 
11:30 Bypass has taken over
1:00 his body is cooled down to 18 degrees Celsius So they can do the repair
2:15 working on aorta 
3:45 body is back to warming up. Finishing some stuff with his shunt. Should be off bypass soon. 
5:10 off bypass! Checking for bleeding. 
6:10 having some bleeding issues but not too serious. 
7:00 Eli is out of surgery. Chest will remain open for a few days. Swelling and bleeding but all is good. We will probably be able to see him around 8-9pm.


No comments:

Post a Comment