Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Feeding & other happenings.

I am a champion pumper! My milk came in a few days after Eli was born, and when things get rough, I secretly tell myself that I'm going to go make eli breakfast/lunch/dinner/and a snack, and it makes me feel like I'm doing something for him. 

It's been good for me, it helps a bit with that helpless feeling. Perhaps it's too much info, but I'm getting about 6 ounces every pump. Not bad for only 2 weeks in! Keeping it up is the hard part. It's not easy, this pumping ordeal. I lasted a month with Lucas so I'm halfway there and in hopes to do it longer :) I can't have the physical bond of breast feeding with Eli so pumping makes me feel like its the best I can do until we're able to touch. And I'm in desperate need of that these days. Getting closer. 

But so far away. 

They gave him his first feed today. Such a huge step in this process. He's not been fed in 14 days! Can you imagine? Technically he's been getting nutrients through TPN but actual milk/formula gets held off in most hypoplastic cases according to one of the docs here. It was just so sad to know our baby couldn't eat. 

His nurse stopped the constant pain drip this morning and only gives him a dose when he's showing signs of pain. Otherwise, he wiggles his toes and occasionally opens his eyes and looks around, but for the most part, he's still sleeping. They put casts on his hands to get his fingers unclenched. They haven't gotten stretched out much so these casts will help his little fingers get some tone and strength back! He's definitely working those casts. His arms are flailing all over the place. It's kinda funny. 

Moving him off the ventilator is on the agenda for tomorrow...although they keep telling us that it's all on his schedule. Once he's off the ventilator, things will hopefully go really fast in his recovery.  

Todays happenings make me smile. It's the little things now...


No comments:

Post a Comment