Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Tentative timeline.

I have meant to post a schedule but with the weeks left, I assume this will change in some way, shape or form. BUT for now, this is what we know.

· Once he is born, they will take him for evaluation. Our hope is that we will get atleast 20 mins or so with him before they take him. If he looks good, I will hopefully get some chance to breastfeed him on my own.
· He will go to the NICU first where they will start his IV to keep the ductus open. After, he may come back to the room with us in one of those heater units. This is a MAY or MAY NOT bullet. It is more likely that he will go to the Cardiac Intensive Care Unit over at Childrens.
· Once I am settled and feeling up to par, then get released. We can go over to Childrens and spend whatever time we need with him. I wont be able to breastfeed him once he is in the NICU. They will feed him via IV. He will get lots of tests done and more Echo to reassure us what exactly needs to be done for his surgery. All my milk will be given through tubes and no physical contact between he and I will happen. Not until he can go home. Then I can try to breastfeed or just continue to give my milk in bottles or tubes. Whichever he has or needs.
· Surgery at this time is unknown how soon after birth. It all depends on how little Eli does. So that part, is up in the air. My understanding is that his chest will be open for some time after his first surgery. And just in case they need to go back in and do anything else they add on a few days To keep it open. Once its closed, they will start to ween him from the meds and then work on feeding and his weight gain. Our stay ranges from anywhere from 2 weeks to….well, who knows.

I am certain i will be camera happy those first few days. Blogs will be updated as best as I can and I will have family members post things for us. Thanks again for all your support and love.

No comments:

Post a Comment